My Converse were done and ready for action in one week!
Sierra Shoe Repair definitely worked faster than shoe gal #3 but the real question was: How did they look and, more importantly, feel?
Answer: Awesome and awesomer!
What really blew my mind was that he uses a material imported from Italy with prefabricated with a rocker. Instead of measuring, slicing and shaving a hunk of EVA into a smooth rocker by hand, he cuts the mold to fit the sole, then glues it to the shoe. It comes prefabricated with a tapered toe for ankle movement.
What?! That’s genius!
I was really caught off guard that something like this existed. In the 15 years since I began my shoe journey, I’ve never had an orthotic company or podiatrist mention it to me. It seems so efficient!
Now that I’ve seen it, I can’t believe I never thought of it!
This ready-made form saved me time and frustration. I’ve spent hours in an office working with an orthotist (or two) to get a rocker smooth and the lift height correct. A typical shoe fitting went like this:
- Try on my half-finished shoe and walk around for about 15 minutes to feel where it needed work.
- Try to clearly communicate the feelings in my foot so that they could make proper adjustments.
- Orthotist makes adjustments in the workshop.
- I wait in the room 30 minutes.
- Try it on again and tell them where it still needed work.
- Orthotist takes it back and makes additional adjustments.
- Wait another 15-30 minutes, hoping that I explained it correctly and it’s right.
- Try on again and (fingers crossed!) take it home.
The process wasn’t only time consuming but also expensive. Insurance does not cover my lifts so I pay out-of-pocket for each one. At $75 a pop, plus the cost of the shoes, it get’s pricey.
I have to say I was ecstatic to pay my local cobbler. It took about 10 minutes to pick up my Converse at Sierra Shoe Repair. I put them on, expecting disappointment. I was shocked when I felt perfection.
Apparently somebody perfected the shoe rocker and my new cobbler knows all about it. Mind. Blown.
I’ve finally found my shoe magician. I’ve already taken him a second pair.